Good morning and happy Monday to you! For those of you that have kids, are dating a “kid” or feel like eating like a kid again, I have just the post for you! As I reported in my January goal setting, MigraineMe Boyfriend and I are working on meal planning for the week (like I used to do before I moved in and got lazy)…
As such, yesterday I used my handy grocery checklist from MigraineMe Mom and we made our meal plan, our grocery list and headed off to the grocery store and two pharmacies for a lovely Sunday afternoon!
One of the staple items that MigraineMe boyfriend (the “kid” I am dating) typically enjoys are the popcorn chicken from Fresh and Easy. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like Fresh and Easy as much as the next person, but unfortunately, it is 30 minutes away from our apartment in the direction that I didn’t want to go yesterday. So, I decided to shorten the shopping day a little and make my own popcorn chicken – gluten-free, of course!
What you need:
- egg whites (1/2 cup, give or take a little)
- coconut flour
- almond flour
- chicken breasts
- olive oil spray (or something to spray your baking dish or pan)
- garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
What to do:
If you have read my recipe for gluten-free chicken parm, this recipe will sound familiar – similar idea here!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray baking sheet or glass baking dish with olive oil spray and set aside.
- Prepare your chicken. Cut the raw (defrosted, if they were purchased frozen) chicken breasts into small pieces. Be sure to cut your pieces all about the same size to ensure evenly cooked chicken.
- Prepare your dipping bowls. Pour egg whites in a medium-sized bowl. In a large bowl, add almond flour (approx. 1 cup); add coconut flour (approx. 1 cup); add salt (approx. 1 tsp.), pepper (approx. 1 tsp.), garlic and Italian seasoning, to taste. The amount of mixture needed depends on the amount of chicken prepared and the seasoning depends on the flavor desired – experiment as you go! Mix the ingredients in the large bowl together until consistent.
- For each piece of chicken, place into the egg bowl until thoroughly coated. Remove and place into the large seasoning bowl mixture until thoroughly coated. Shake excess seasoning, remove and place onto the baking sheet. Continue until all chicken is on the baking sheet (and use an extra baking sheet, if needed).
- Cook on 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, removing at the 12 minute mark to flip the chicken on the baking sheet. Cooking times may vary, so be sure to cut a few pieces open to determine if additional cook time is necessary.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooking sheet!
And, there you have it! Gluten-free popcorn chicken, ready to serve, just like it’s from Fresh and Easy (although I think it is even fresher, though it might not be easier).
Have a good one!